Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Witch's Hat Brewing Company

I think it is fun when a new brewery opens locally.  Recently I visited the Witch's Hat Brewery located in South Lyon, MI.  The brewery opened the day after Christmas, 2011 and I managed to visit it a few days after it opened.  We arrived in the evening in the middle of the week (vacation time for all of us).
Witch's Hat Brewing Company, South Lyon, MI
The place was packed with patrons standing by the bar.  We were lucky enough to get a table.  While we were there, dozens of people stopped by to fill growlers or to have a pint.  The selection of beers was fairly extensive, ranging from a wheat beer to an IPA to a barleywine (out when we visited).
The Day's Offerings
My party all ordered samplers, where you get to pick 5 of the beers they are pouring.  Among us, of course, we tried all of the beers.  My general impression is that the beer is pretty good, but lacked the heaviness and hoppiness I expected in some of the beers, such as the IPA.

A Sampling of Beers.
Nevertheless, I applaud the new venture and expect that the beers will evolve with time and interest from the patrons.  Once the crowds die down, I think the ambiance of the place will improve (they have a fireplace).  The staff were very friendly, skilled, and knowledgeable about beer.  I also enjoyed learning what the brewery is named after.  Hint: Look at the pictures on the wall.

Cheers,
Zymus.

No comments:

Post a Comment