Total Pageviews

Monday, November 26, 2012

Arcadia Brewing Company

Arcadia Brewing Company has been a consistently great producer of Michigan beers for 15 years.  The brewery is located along the main street (Michigan Ave) of Kellogg, Michigan. I visited on a chilly Thanksgiving weekend with some friends.



The place was very roomy inside, with a bank of windows that let patrons watch the brewing activities. They also have a section where they sell bottled beers for take out. 



When we visited they still had some bottles left of their 15th Anniversary Brown Ales.  There were two varieties: 15th Ale which was brewed with cherries and aged in bourbon barrels and XV Ale also brewed with cherries but aged in oak wine barrels.

 There was an extensive collection of brews on tap and what looked like a tasty menu.  One of our party thought the brisket was excellent.  The beers were excellent too.  I saw on the beer menu a cask Scotch Ale, Loch Down, that was made with ghost chilies. One of my party informed me that ghost chilies (AKA: Naga Bhut Jolokia), were the hottest chilies in the world.  I checked and indeed they hold the Guinness World Record with a Scoville rating of 330,000 - 1,000,000.  Note that a jalapeno has a rating of 2,500 - 10,000.  I ordered it anyway.  It was HOT!  I finished the pint but my throat was warm for quite some time afterwards.

    
A fun time at a fun place.  Highly recommended.

Cheers,
Zymus

No comments:

Post a Comment